Moore County News

Follow Us On:

Proof of insurance required to register vehicles beginning Jan. 1

Posted on Friday, December 2, 2016 at 11:00 am

Beginning January 1, anyone needing to register a new automobile or renew their current registration will need to provide proof of insurance first. The new regulation goes into effect in less than five weeks.

If you own and operate a motor vehicle in Tennessee, state law requires you to be covered by an auto liability insurance policy or to meet the requirements for an exemption. In 2017, uninsured drivers in Tennessee will pay fines and risk losing their vehicle registration if they are unable to demonstrate proof of financial responsibility. A web-based program will verify insurance for all Tennessee drivers.

These changes come as part of the James Lee Atwood Jr. Law.

12-01-16 car-insurance-cardThe required minimum limits of your liability car insurance are:

—$25,000 for each injury or death per accident.

—$50,000 for total injuries or deaths per accident.

—$15,000 for property damage per accident.

For more information, go online to <> or <> or call call (615) 741-3101 to speak to a customer representative.

If you have no insurance and do not comply with the insurance requirement, there will be fines imposed up to $125 and your registration will be suspended.

Titling and registering a new or used vehicle in Moore County takes place at the County Clerk’s office located in the Moore County Courthouse.

Along with proof of insurance, to title and register a new vehicle, you will need the manufacturer’s statement of origin, the new vehicle’s invoice and a copy of your current registration if transferring your license plate.

To title and register a used vehicle, you will need a valid certificate of title properly assigned along with an odometer disclosure statement and a copy of the current registration if transferring your license plate.

The Metro County Clerk’s office is open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon. The office is closed Thursday and Sunday. For more information, call (931) 759-7346.