Officials recently designated the Wagoner-Stone Farm in Moore County as a Tennessee Century Farm, according to the program’s director, Caneta S. Hankins.
The Century Farms Program recognizes the contributions of Tennessee residents who have owned and kept family land in continuous agricultural production for at least 100 years.
Fredrick and Mary Wagoner – who married in 1817 – moved west from Johnson County, Tenn., in 1818 to take up residence on a land grant in Lincoln County. That land would be-come Moore County in 1871.
He eventually received three land grants, and purchased more than 1,300 acres. The Wagoners had 14 children, and their descendants have subsequently owned property along the Buck-eye area for generations.
Records indicate that Andrew Wagoner inherited or purchased part of the property but died shortly after his father.
His son – Felix, or “Feek” –acquired about 180 acres in 1885. He and his wife, Fannie Jerusha Jacobs, and their children (Elijah and Maggie Jane) raised their food and grains for their livestock.
Maggie Jane inherited her parents’ farm and, with her husband, Jim Stone, and their nine children, raised cattle, sheep and tobacco.
Siblings Hattie Lee and J. E. Stone were the farm’s next owners. As they had no children, Paul Stone, their nephew, acquired the property in 1980.
Today, his children, Lisa and Barry Stone, are the owners of the property. Lisa makes her home on the farm, and Barry raises cattle on the land that has been in their family for 194 years.
Since 1984, the Center for Historic Preservation at MTSU has done the work of documenting Tennessee’s agricultural heritage and history through the Tennessee Century Farms Pro-gram.