The Stone-Rives Farm, located in Moore County, has been designated as a Tennessee Century Farm, reports Caneta S. Hankins, director of the Century Farms Program at the Center for Historic Preservation at MTSU. The Century Farms Program recognizes the contributions of Tennessee residents who have owned and kept family land in continuous agricultural production for at least 100 years.
In October of 1900, Moore County magistrate John Stone purchased a farm in Moore County between Shelbyville and Lynchburg. He raised corn, wheat, tobacco, cattle, hogs and sheep on his 130.4-acre farm. Married to Lula Ervin, they were the parents of Lillis Stone Frost, Horace Stone, John T. Stone and Ann Stone Rives.
In 1952, Ann Stone Rives, and her husband, Floyd Rives, acquired the farm. They raised livestock such as cattle, horses, sheep and hogs as well as hay, corn and tobacco on the farm. In addition to their farming activities, Floyd served as a magistrate, and Anne taught math at Moore County High School. The family was involved in the Booneville Community Club, the Home Demonstration Club, 4-H, Future Farmers of America and Farmers Home Administration. Floyd and Ann were the parents of two children, Phil Stone Rives and Mary Lou Rives Cox.
In 1993, Phil Rives and Mary Lou Cox acquired the family farm. Phil and Mary Lou actively run the 94-acre farm, which supports tobacco, cattle and hay. Phil owns and lives on a nearby farm where he runs 150 head of cattle. Several original buildings remain on the Stone-Rives Farm, including a barn built in the early 1900s that retains its original tin roof and the farmhouse, which began as a log cabin and to which rooms were added through the years. The Stone-Rives Farm is the eighth Century Farm certified in Moore County.
For more information about the Century Farms Program, visit click here. The Center for Historic Preservation also may be contacted at Box 80, MTSU, Murfreesboro, Tenn., 37132 or (615) 898-2947.