Moore County News

Follow Us On:

Council hears report from historic flood events

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2019 at 12:36 pm

The Metropolitan Lynchburg Moore County Council met Monday night at the American Legion Building. Emergency Management Director Jason Deal presented a slide show of the historic flood events of the past handled 46 calls on Feb. 20, 78 on Feb. 23 and 54 on March 9. There were three vehicle rescues, three homes evacuated with 14 people rescued. Deal thanked the highway department for its efforts in clearing trees and getting roads passable. And he commended citizens for their concern and contributions. “People were just outpouring in asking what they could do. They blew up the mayor’s phone,” Deal said. Mayor Bonnie Lewis said, “Jason did an awesome job organizing everybody.” One task still at hand is getting roads damaged from the floods back in shape. Shelton Road is now drivable although it is not yet paved. The cost of the damage is estimated to be about $80,000. Deal said because the state of Tennessee declared a federal disaster, Moore County will get 75 percent of its expenses reimbursed, Deal said. Also, the other 25 percent will likely be covered by volunteer hours. Deal will be meeting with FEMA in the coming days to begin the paperwork. In other action, the council had a first reading to rezone property near the Jiff y Mart from agricultural to residential. The second reading will be at the next council meeting. Nicole Fanning, Debbie Hatchett, Deanna Phelps and Chris Wade were appointed notary publics. Sheriff Tyler Hatfield received approval to sell surplus vehicles and equipment. Moore County Schools Director Chad Moorehead received approval to sign a three-year contract with Education Networks of America for phone and Internet service, changing from AT&T. The savings will be more than $400 in the long run, Moorehead said. The current AT&T bill is around $729, not including long distance. The ENA plan is for about $376 including long distance. It was announced that the Budget Committee will meet March 28 at 6:30 p.m. at the County Building.

Social Media Posts from Local Businesses